Thursday, January 31, 2008

New Town Kings - Sound Of New Town

Do The Dog Music 2007

If there's any band to pull me out of the slow and groovy mood I've been in for the last few months, it's got to be these guys. New Town Kings are a 10 piece Ska and Reggae band from the UK. They've been busy spreading their sound all around the UK since their formation in 2005.

Their new album Sound Of The New Town is a non-stop ball of fire, burning up a ferocious trail that'll leave you choking on the ashes. With 10 members they really use all that power to the full.

If anything stands out the most to me it's those blistering horns. All that energy nearly burst some brain cells through my earphones.
The first track really sets the pace for this 10 track album. La La World starts off slow with an ear tickling, gritty skank under eerie keys that remind me of The Silencers, The Specials, or the Dead Sixties. It slowly builds adding some sharp horn lines and the tune takes off! The catchy chorus "Living in a la la world, laaa laaa" gets stuck in my head, and I have to repeat it several times. This song really shows what they're all about.

From here the heat is kept up with an upbeat scorcher called Don't Be Deceived. Definitely here those 2-Tone influences on this one. I imagine this one is a crowd favorite on the dance floor. The same goes for the songs Right Boy, Fire In The Hole, Somebody, and Stay On Your Feet. Classic upbeat UK ska sound with a new attitude.

Don't worry, they give you a break and cool you out with some tight reggae tracks like Caesars and Pharaohs, and Alright. Plus, some soulful, rhythm and blues influenced tunes are sprinkled in and really stand out. (Look at the) Sky At Night,and Take Hold Of Me are a couple of pleasant surprises amongst most of these tunes with their powerful messages.

I have to admit, the first way through, I wasn't to thrilled with certain songs like Right Boy and Stay On Your Feet, but the more I listened, the more I was reminded of those old 2-Tone records I fell in love with as a youth.

It's no wonder they're known as one of the UK's hottest new bands. After this explosive debut, I can't wait to hear what they do next.

-Gabe

Vist
www.myspace.com/newtownkings
Buy at
www.dothedog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?